KENTUCKY BOY COMES HOME

KENTUCKY BOY COMES HOME
Visiting my host Tom Brown at his "Creekhouse" above Lexington.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

MY LIFE INSIDE THE BOX - THE LAVENDER BOX

This past weekend I had the privilege of sharing the stage with a wonderful ensemble of actors. We were backed up by an amazing creative team of makeup artists, hair stylists, technicians and stage management and designers. I call it the little production that could. We raised a nice amount of money for an upcoming 12-step convention this spring.

THE SHOW: MISFITS
ME: "CHARLIE IN THE BOX"

And true to the original source which is Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer, I believe we came pretty close to doing a hysterical parody of this wonderful classic children's cartoon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer_(TV_special)

In my past life, I too like Charlie use to wait for someone to come along, turn my crank so I could pop my lid and hold my arms out in a gesture that says: "LIKE ME, LOVE ME, PLEASE."

It's nice to not be in the lavender box anymore! LOL

What's it like in the box?
I said the serenity prayer each rehearsal and performance as I was being wheeled across stage. I just asked God to help me "not screw up the words to the damn song!"
I always trusted that my three sexy elfs (weren't they cute in those shorts?) wouldn't wheel me off the stage. Now that would have been a show!

Being in Charlie's box this weekend reinforced in me just how far I have come this year.

And it was a beautifully built box. Thanks to Adam Pardonek's design and construction skills we had a life size replica of the Lavender box that hosts the very "fey" Charlie. Hopefully I did my best to pull up on that side of myself that I don't like to acknowledge, the one I was made fun of in high school for having. Call it "fey" or "Queenie" or "queer" or "Nelly" or effeminate" or "sissy" this weekend's show helped me to really have fun and stretch my range as an actor by doing the best interpretation of this iconic character that I could.

After all
, I was in front of an audience that remembered from their collective childhoods this character. The Rudolph TV special has been shown at holiday time continuously since it first aired in 1964.

We can all identify at one point or another in our lives with being a "misfit."
We never quite fit in and like Rudolph were not asked to "join in any reindeer games."

But with the group of wonderful "misfits" assembled this past Sunday night, I fit right in.
And collectively we created a wonderful evening that hopefully left the audience wanting more.

What a joy to perform on stage again. And what an honor to be entrusted with recreating an iconic character for all you grown up "girls and boys."

May this holiday season for all of you be bright, and to all of you a good night.

Peace and blessings,
G

No comments: