KENTUCKY BOY COMES HOME

KENTUCKY BOY COMES HOME
Visiting my host Tom Brown at his "Creekhouse" above Lexington.

Thursday, December 04, 2008

SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY THE RIDE

DRIFTER KNOWS THE WAY
There is a lot to be learned when you're on the back of a horse. Especially a former "wild mustang" tamed to give "kids" at camp a ride around the meadow. This past Thanksgiving weekend the group of "kids" was a bunch of grown men attending the California Men's Gathering. Hosted by the San Diego chapter, this all volunteer group of guys put on a great three days of workshops, talent show and events that helped me to finally have that kid camp weekend that I never experienced.

Actually, I had a blessed childhood. My dad sent us to Idaho to stay with my grandmother Mary Alice. She and my grandpa Warren Dye lived in Firth, Idaho.
I visited Idaho 3 times.
Once as a family on vacation in 1974.
The summer I turned 14 in 1976.
And the next summer after my mother's death in 1977.

Now since I am from Kentucky the land of Thoroughbred horses you would think that I am an expert rider. Alas I am not. While on vacation the in Idaho in 1974, my dad threw me on the back of the horse with him and we took off down the road. I nearly DIED! I had no stirrups to dig into and I wasn't even on the saddle with my dad. I was told to hold on and I did for dear life. I bounced so hard on the back of that horse I hurt my boys. They're sensitive when you are 12!

So this past Sunday when I mounted the saddle on top of "Drifter" I had a little anxiety but realized we would not be taking the horses above a slow walk through the Ponderosa Pines.
Actually I really enjoyed the slow pace following in line with the other riders as we took a slow stroll around the ranch property. The horses have done this route a thousand times. To our right were the other small "ranches" next to "PATHFINDER RANCH." A flock of llamas came to greet us and see what the fuss was all about. They batted their long lashes at the horses and looked at us people with a sideways glance.

LESSONS ON THE BACK OF A HORSE/LESSONS FOR LIVING LIFE
Stay in line.
Stay on the saddle.
(If you feel it slipping, just lean to the other side until you center yourself.)
Follow instructions.
For God's sake take in the scenery and breath in the clean air.
Enjoy the ride, you may never travel through this way again.
In other words be in the moment.

I talked to Drifter. He just snorted back at me several times before settling into his steady pace.
When we got back to the stables I thanked him for the ride. He just wanted some hay and to have that saddle off his back.

I feel like that today.

Peace and blessings,
GM

No comments: