KENTUCKY BOY COMES HOME

KENTUCKY BOY COMES HOME
Visiting my host Tom Brown at his "Creekhouse" above Lexington.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

MEET THE CAST AND CREATOR OF DOUBT

Academy Of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences on November 18, 2008 in Beverly Hills, California

Miramax president Daniel Battsek,
John Patrick Shanley (MOONSTRUCK) along with the film's stars: Viola Davis, Meryl Streep,
Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

This film is EXCELLENT.
Most of the talent behind the camera and in front of the camera are Oscar winners.

DOUBT won the Pulitzer Prize and a Tony award for best Play in 2005.
It garnered actress Cherry Jones a Tony for Best Actress in a Play that year as well.

THE AFTER PARTY IN THE LOBBY OF THE ACADEMY
One of the many benefits of being a member of the Producer's Guild of America is attending a variety of fall film screenings. There is always one film that gets screened by the PGA at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater. I was fortunate enough two years ago to attend a screening of THE QUEEN. Helen Mirren was present that evening and is a stunningly beautiful woman.

My friend Dave Bass joined me for last night's screening and reception. I was trying my best to look good in a blue pinstriped suit, a bald Bond if you will. Trying my best to look cool and aloof, yet on the lookout at all times.
(I'll be buying that Tom Ford 007 James Bond suit soon.)

Hey if it works for Daniel Craig it could work for me?

The PGA always hosts an amazing evening at the Academy and I was a little star struck by all the other recognizable faces in the audience who had been invited to the event.

Last night I was about 10 feet from Meryl trying to look casual sipping on my Diet Coke.
She was talking to Tracy Ullman and then to a number of people around her.

In my head I am thinking, I love these two funny women!!!!
But I decided to try to look cool and aloof, you know like Bond.

My friend Dave called me over to him out of my strategic position next to Meryl.

Dave: "I was watching you from across the room and that's why I called you over here."
Me: "I wasn't looking cool and aloof like Bond?"
Dave: "No dude, not a chance."

We went for another soda and then raided the dessert table a second time.

While heading for the bar, we cruised past Amy Adams looking amazing, along with Viola Davis.
Outside in the closed off terrace was Phillip Seymour Hoffman smiling and talking to friends.

This cast of four is amazing in this film.
What a joy to witness actors working with this amazing material from John Patrick Shanley.

Sadly I missed the production of DOUBT along with Cherry Jone's Tony Award winning performance last year at the Ahmanson Theatre.
So for me, this film is my first exposure to this amazing piece of work.

I wouldn't even attempt in this blog to write a review of this film.
I'll let the experts do that. For now I just have one recommendation....

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

Gerry's Golden Globe/Oscar Predictions for DOUBT?
Nominations out the wazoo for both GG's and Oscars.
Oscar Best Adapted Screenplay for John Patrick Shanley
We'll have to wait until all the films are screened to see if anybody can top Ms. Streep this year.
For now she's in the lead....as usual.

(How do you honor an actress who is in a category all by herself?)

No comments: