KENTUCKY BOY COMES HOME

KENTUCKY BOY COMES HOME
Visiting my host Tom Brown at his "Creekhouse" above Lexington.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

MARTHA, MARTHA, MARTHA!

VROMAN'S BOOKSTORE - PASADENA, CA
3PM Sunday, November 9th, 2008

Me and 350 other fans of Martha with numbered tickets have lined up to meet the "Domestic Goddess of Love" in person.
(I am one of only 2 dozen men standing in line. Hummmmm.)

I don't know what it was last Sunday that got me all crazy to meet MARTHA STEWART.
In all my years of working in TV here in LA, I have run into my share of "celebrated people."

Shows like the Golden Globes, The Academy Awards, The American Music Awards and oh yeah Celebrity Boxing 2 for FOX,

Maybe it was because I was meeting a woman who was an actual brand.
I don't think I would feel the same meeting oh let's say Kathy Ireland who does home furnishing or Kenneth Cole. (I don't buy his stuff anyway.)
But for some reason I was just a little vehclempt standing there in line.

The ladies all around me were just as excited to meet her. My line mate Laura is 8 months pregnant. All the ladies around us urged her to grab a cafe chair and sit for awhile. When the line started to move, we moved the chair for her so she could rest. The woman at the Vroman's Cafe wouldn't let us drag a chair around the corner. Laura had to stand in line for the next 2 HOURS! Laura was a trouper and when we finally got upstairs, she along with several of the other ladies in line were kind enough to take pictures.

Maybe it was the excitement of getting Martha's autograph on a couple of books that are my surprise Christmas presents for my step-mom Gloria and her good friend Paula.
They both LOVE Martha Stewart.
Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook.
The books are HUGE and they weight a ton.
I rehearsed in my head what I would say to this icon of home interiors/cooking/modern day etiquette. I felt like Ralphie in A CHRISTMAS STORY as he approached Santa. I didn't want to screw it up. God help me not to screw it up in front of Miss Martha.

My father once created a "Martha Stewart turkey" for Thanksgiving.
AS GOD AS MY WITNESS....this was the most beautiful, tasty, moist and delicious turkey I had EVER tasted in my life! So I rehearsed this little story in my mind until I knew what I wanted to say to this true "maverick." This woman who served jail time for something that now looks like petty theft compared to what the "boys" down on Wall Street did to our economy.

The line moves quickly. Martha is being gracious but is firm in what she wants done at this book signing. And Vroman's staff did an amazing job of keeping it all organized and moving.
No personal notes, only her signature on her "new" book, no signing of other "memorabilia."
So when I finally got to the table I had to let Miss Martha know the following facts.

Our conversation was brief but memorable.

ME: Miss Martha good afternoon.
MARTHA: Good afternoon.

ME: My father back in Kentucky was inspired to create a Thanksgiving day turkey from your recipe that was amazing.

MARTHA: Really? Your father? (Genuinely surprised, then thoughtful...)
Did he use my basic recipe?

ME: He brined the turkey. It was the most delicious turkey I have ever tasted.
These books are going to make wonderful Christmas presents for my parents and their neighbor Paula.

MARTHA: Well thank you and enjoy.
ME: Thank you Miss Martha for you time.

And with that I was out of there. Laura my line mate took some photos along with some of the other ladies in line. Let's face it, this woman has made a career/life/empire out of gracious living and being gracious.

Given the crazy times we live in...I think we all can be reminded to be a little kinder to each other. It's the little things that make a difference, like a hand written note or letter sent to a friend or family member. How about fixing dinner for a small group and entertaining at home. It's really less expensive that everyone going out. And in these economic times it makes sense. Look for my homemade soup recipes in the coming weeks. You'd be amazed how many people you can feed for less that $20.

Just remember after all these years... IT'S STILL A GOOD THING!"
http://www.marthastewart.com/

1 comment:

prisonspice said...

Gloria and Paula should be thrilled.

After reading this, I'm reminded that I need to work on being more gracious, tolerant and less prone to ranting and raving when something pisses me off. I think you know what I'm talking about... ie. last night. ;-)